The purpose of this directive is to establish and convey procedures of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA or “the Agency”) Office of Diversity and Equal Opportunity (ODEO) on:
- Processing administrative complaints of discrimination filed with NASA in any program or activity assisted by NASA, excluding those covered under the Department of Education/National Aeronautics and Space Administration/Department of Justice (DOJ), “Agreement Between National Aeronautics and Space Administration and Department of Education to Delegate Certain Civil Rights Compliance Responsibilities for Elementary and Secondary Schools and Institutions of Higher Education.” [Appendix D] This NPR does not alter the agreement between NASA and the Department of Education designating the Department of Education responsible for certain specific civil rights complaint investigation duties, with respect to elementary and secondary schools and institutions of higher education.
- Conducting civil rights compliance reviews to ensure against discrimination in any program or activity receiving NASA financial assistance.
- Processing administrative complaints of discrimination on the basis of disability filed under Section 504 or 508 regarding any program or activity conducted by NASA.
- Processing administrative complaints of discrimination filed under Executive Order 13160 regarding any education or training program or activity conducted by NASA.
- Conducting internal “functional reviews” of Center equal opportunity (EO) operations, including EO requirements pertaining to NASA conducted programs. f. This NPR does not alter any NASA employee’s rights to due process or redress related to a discrimination charge as currently guaranteed under any locally negotiated bargaining agreements or established practices.
For more information and the full document, go to NPR 2081.1A